Ron Chenoy-US PRESSWIRE
LAS VEGAS -- A fight-day illness has forced lightweight Jamie Varner to withdraw from his much-anticipated "Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale" bout with Melvin Guillard on Saturday night at the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.
According to MMAFighting's Ariel Helwani, UFC president Dana White said the bout has been rescheduled for UFC 155 on Dec. 29.
Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer informed the assembled Octagonside media of the fight's cancellation.
"He was sick all day, but he still wanted to fight," Kizer told MMAFighting. "He was throwing up backstage. The doctor checked him out and he determined he couldn't go. It's just one of those things, like an athlete training for the Olympics for four years and then getting sick the week he's supposed to go."
Both Guillard and Varner will receive their show money for the evening. The UFC will not promote another bout to the main card.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts