Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
So much for that invisible wall between UFC and Strikeforce fighters.
The news was originally reported on Wednesday night by USA Today.
Earlier on Wednesday, a Strikeforce press release stated Cormier would fight on the Sept. 29 card in Sacramento, Calif., being headlined by lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez's title defense against Pat Healy. But the Cormier-Mir bout will take place on a card in October or November, date and place to be determined.
In Mir, Cormier (10-0) will face a former UFC champion for the second consecutive outing. Last time out, he dominated former titleholder Josh Barnett to win a unanimous decision, a performance so impressive that many wondered if Cormier is ready for a UFC title shot.
But Cormier had one fight left in Strikeforce, which had already disbanded the bulk of its heavyweight division, as the likes of Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, Lavar Johnson, and Shane Del Rosario have all made the jump to the UFC.
Into the void stepped Mir (16-6), who will fight for the first time since his second-round loss to UFC champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 146.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts