South Korean lightweight Tae Hyun Bang, who Saturday night pocketed UFC 174's biggest bonus checks for his electric third-round KO of Kajan Johnson, also received the pay-per-view event's longest medical suspension, the British Columbia Athletic Commission announced on Monday.
As a result of damage sustained during his preliminary card contest against Johnson, Bang is suspended indefinitely with no contact allowable for up to 180 days, or until the 31-year-old receives physician's clearance on a potential nose fracture.
In addition to Bang, four other fighters were handed extended medical suspensions for their efforts at UFC 174, including Ryan Jimmo, who received a 180-day sentence for the right forearm fracture that signaled the end to his main card bout against Ovince St. Preux, and Brendan Schaub, who somehow avoided a broken jaw against Andrei Arlvoski despite his grossly swollen post-fight appearance, but still emerged with a 90-day suspension due to facial lacerations.
UFC 174 took place June 14, 2014 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Canada. A complete list of medical suspensions can be seen below. Of the 22 fighters who competed on the card, participants not noted on the list below received a minimum 14-day mandatory suspension.
- Tae Hyun Bang: Suspended indefinitely; no contact 180 days; nose fracture requires physician clearance
- Ryan Jimmo: Suspended 180 days; no contact 180 days; right forearm fracture requires clearance by orthopedic surgeon
- Valerie Letourneau: Suspended 180 days; no contact 30 days; left orbital requires clearance by physician
- Brendan Schaub: Suspended 90 days; no contact 60 days due to left eyelid laceration and right facial suture; requires physician's clearance and CT scan of head
- Kajan Johnson: Suspended 60 days; no contact 45 days due to KO loss; requires follow up with general practitioner
- Ali Bagautinov: Suspended 30 days; no contact 30 days
- Roland Delorme: Suspended 30 days; no contact 21 days
- Andrei Arlovski: Suspended 30 days; no contact 14 days
- Rory MacDonald: Mandatory 14-day suspension; requires follow up with general practitioner
- Daniel Sarafian: Mandatory 14-day suspension; requires follow up with general practitioner
- Mike Easton: Mandatory 14-day suspension; requires physician clearance on left thumb