As expected, former WSOF welterweight champion Steve Carl led the list of medical suspensions handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) in the wake of WSOF 9, which took place Saturday night at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, NV.
Carl became the latest in a long list of victims to the leglocks of Rousimar Palhares, tapping to a inverted heel hook in just 69 seconds to forfeit his title to the Brazilian in WSOF 9's main event.
The 29-year-old Carl limped into the post-fight press conference sporting a big bag of ice wrapped around his knee, and will now be required to undergo an x-ray on his right foot and ankle, as well as an MRI on his right knee before receiving clearance to fight, or be held out of competition until September 26.
Seven additional fighters received medical suspensions from the NSAC, including Ozzy Dugulubgov, who lost a controversial split decision to Johnny Nunez in the night's televised opener.
Dugulubgov will be required to undergo a CT scan of his brain and right orbital area prior to March 13, or otherwise be required to undergo an MRI of his brain and receive physician clearance on a potential right orbital fracture before returning to competition.
A complete list of WSOF 9 medical suspensions can be seen below.
- Steve Carl: Requires right foot and right ankle x-ray to be cleared by orthopedic physician, also requires MRI of right knee or clearance by orthopedic physician, or no contest until 09/26/14
- Ozzy Dugulubgov: Requires CT of brain and right orbital area; if not done before 04/13/14 then must have MRI of brain and clearance on possible right orbital fracture; minimum suspension until 05/29/14; no contact until 05/14/14
- Tyler Stinson: Suspended until 05/14/14; no contact until 04/29/14
- Josh Rettinghouse: Suspended until 04/29/14; no contact until 04/20/14
- John Gunderson: Suspended until 04/29/14; no contact until 04/20/14
- Sean Cantor: Suspended until 04/14/14; no contact until 04/06/14
- Phil Dace: Suspended until 04/14/14; no contact until 04/06/14
- Gilbert Guardado: Suspended until 04/13/14; no contact until 04/09/14