Ten fighters received extended medical suspensions in the wake of UFC 169, the New Jersey Athletic Control Board announced on Sunday.
Highlighting the list is lightweight veteran Jamie Varner, who lost a thrilling back-and-forth contest to Abel Trujillo on the night's pay-per-view main card. Varner is to be suspended for 30 days for his second-round knockout loss, along with an indefinite suspension he received pending a CT head scan and neurological evaluation due to the brutal nature of the loss. Trujillo also received a 30-day suspension.
Additionally, seven fighters from UFC 169's preliminary card were handed indefinite suspensions due to various injuries suffered during the event: Nick Catone, Tom Watson, Al Iaquinta, Kevin Lee, Rashid Magomedov, Tony Martin and Neil Magny.
John Makdessi rounded out the list, as "The Bull" received a 60-day sentence due to facial lacerations suffered during a dubious decision loss to Alan Patrick.
UFC 169: Barao vs. Faber II took place Saturday night on February 1, 2014, at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.
A complete list of UFC 169's medical suspensions can be seen below.
- Jamie Varner: suspended 30 days for KO loss; suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan and neurological evaluation
- Nick Catone: suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance on left knee
- Tom Watson: suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance on right elbow and right foot
- Al Iaquinta: suspended 30 days for laceration on left lateral brow; suspended indefinitely pending orthopedic clearance on right knee
- Kevin Lee: suspended indefinitely pending ophthalmological clearance, plus CT scan of facial bones
- Rashid Magomedov: suspended indefinitely pending x-ray on left foot
- Tony Martin: suspended indefinitely pending MRI on left knee
- Neil Magny: suspended 30 days, no contact; suspended indefinitely pending x-ray of skull and sinuses
- John Makdessi: suspended 60 days for facial lacerations
- Abel Trujillo: suspended 30 days, no contact