"I talked to Diaz today, and I made him an offer, so we'll see what happens," White reportedly said during a question-and-answer session in Boston for The Shawn Thornton Foundation, a charity dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by cancer and Parkinson's diseases. MMAJunkie.com first reported the news.
"He had been talking about going to 185 pounds. Machida has been talking about going to 185 pounds. So we wanted to see if he wanted to fight Machida at 185."
White told MMAFighting.com afterwards that he offered the fight to Diaz himself, but he didn't know which fight had better a chance of happening: Machida vs. Belfort or Machida vs. Diaz.
Belfort has yet to comment on the potential Machida fight.
Of course, the 30-year-old Diaz vowed to retire from MMA following his UFC 158 loss to Georges St-Pierre, unless he received a rematch against St-Pierre or a fight against Anderson Silva, which didn't seem likely at the time. Thus far, Diaz has not hinted at a comeback, however, he has kept a low-profile since the welterweight title fight against St-Pierre in March.
Machida most recently lost a controversial unanimous decision to Phil Davis at UFC 163. Machida's manager, Jorge Guimaraes, told "UFC Tonight" on Tuesday that they loved the idea of fighting Belfort at either middleweight, light heavyweight or a catch-weight. He was not available to comment on the Diaz proposal.