USA TODAY Sports
According to sources close to Overeem, the heavyweight recently suffered an undisclosed injury while training, which will sideline him for four-to-five weeks. As a result, Overeem's camp recently informed the UFC that he will be unable to fight dos Santos at UFC 160 on May 25.
Overeem is hoping to return to action against dos Santos in July, but as of right now, no decision has been made when he'll return and against who. Also, no word just yet on if dos Santos will remain on the UFC 160 card and fight someone else or wait for Overeem to return.
The UFC is expected to announce its intentions in the coming days.
This marks the second time that a planned Overeem vs. dos Santos fight has fallen through. The pair were supposed to meet for the heavyweight belt at UFC 146 last May, however, Overeem was pulled from the fight after failing to receive his license to fight from the Nevada State Athletic Commission after failing a pre-fight drug test.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts