Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
MONTREAL -- Consider his recent loss a blip in the past. Jake Ellenberger is once again a real threat in the UFC welterweight division after knocking out decorated veteran Nate Marquardt.
Ellenberger caught Marquardt with a right cross during a combination against the fence, a punch that put his opponent on the ground. He then cracked Marquardt with a series of ground strikes, and one put Marquardt's lights out. Marquardt went from all fours to his hands collapsing underneath him and he fell face first, leading the ref to call a halt to the action.
The knockout took him just three minutes, making it his third first-round KO in his last five wins.
"The adversity you go through makes you realize how much you want it," said Ellenberger, referring to his 2012 loss to Martin Kampmann as he knocked on the door of the No. 1 contender spot.
Ellenberger has won eight of his last nine UFC fights, a stretch that pushes his career record to 29-6. Five of those UFC victories are by knockout.
It was the second straight loss for the former Strikeforce welterweight champion Marquardt, who fell to 32-12-2.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts