MONTREAL -- If you're ever going to win an ugly fight, it might as well be against someone nicknamed "Freakshow." That's what Mike Ricci did at Saturday night's UFC 158, taking a unanimous decision over Colin Fletcher by a trio of 30-27 scores.
it was hardly a thing of beauty, as neither fighter was able to mount any sustained offense until the third round when Ricci took Fletcher down, fired off some ground strikes, took Fletcher's back, and hunted for a submission until the closing bell. He threatened with both a rear naked choke and an armbar, but Fletcher escaped both tries.
Most of the rest of the fight was a kickboxing match, with Ricci figuring out the lengthy Brit's range early in the first and occasionally scoring with a straight left and some body punching.
Both fighters were recent cast members of The Ultimate Fighter, and both had lost in their respective UFC debuts. Given the depth of the welterweight division, their jobs were likely on the line, and they fought with caution.
Fletcher will likely have to hope for a reprieve after his second straight octagon loss dropped him to 8-3.
Ricci is also 8-3 after authoring his first UFC win.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts