Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
MONTREAL -- Prior to Saturday night, Dan Miller had fought 21 times. He had faced finishers like Rousimar Palhares and Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia, and no one had ever closed him out inside the distance. And then, he met a rising young star named Jordan Mein, and that streak came to a stunning end.
The 23-year-old Mein has been considered for a few years to be a prospect to watch, and he proved that he was worthy of the attention at UFC 158, earning a first-round TKO at 4:42.
Mein had to overcome some early adversity, escaping an arm bar attempt before going on the offensive with sharp strikes. First, he floored Miller with a straight left, and about one minute later, he poured on the fight-ending barrage. First, he hurt Miller with a right hand, but it was a series of digging hooks to the body that put Miller on the canvas, where Mein landed several ground strikes, forcing the finish.
"It makes me so excited. It was one of my goals [to finish]," he said afterward.
It was the UFC debut for the youngster, who began his pro career at the age of 16 and has 35 pro fights under his belt. The recent Strikeforce transfer is now 27-8 all-time.
The veteran Miller fell to 14-7 with 1 no contest.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts