The latest episode of TUF 18 Tate vs. Rousey aired last night, and I don't think I could have been anticipating a next show any more than I already was. After last week's Hallman confrontation and the one at the Red Rock, I guess I was getting greedy, I wanted more drama. But this episode didn't have too much of it. They used a lot of training footage and sob stories as filler.
Don't get me wrong, I like the whole "I was homeless for x years" or "I had a rough childhood." However, when both of the fighters do it, on every episode, of every season, it grows old. I think my caulied ears perk up more when they say stuff like "yeah, I dropped out of Harvard Business School when a friend invited me to cardio kickboxing class. I just fell in love with it." Once again, we is going to screw the fight recap, and yes, I used is like that on purpose. It seems to me that everyone likes to watch and read about the stupid drama that goes on. And, it is so much more fudging fun to write about.
TUF 18 Episode 5 - Water Cooler Observations from doyoubjj.com
- We got a recap of Modafferi's fight. And also of the blood curdling scream that she let out right after losing. Next a cameraman sneaks up behind her as she is sobbing behind a wall in the backyard. The show cuts to an interview with Roxanne telling us how she needs to put on like a happy warrior spirit. And finally, we are taken back to the backyard where she was moments ago sobbing but is now laughing. Like a 4 legged table - stable.
- Louis Fisette - um, freckles maybe? If you don't know who I am talking about just think of freckles. Got him now? No, this is the guy that when shown we get told "LIVES WITH PARENTS" across the screen. Also, I noticed he was wearing his diamond stud earring in the cage while training. GTFO. Again, freckles anyone?
- The Ultimate Fighters played Truth or Dare? Next week 2 of them are going to get their driver's permits too (depends on the grades they get on their English homework). Good luck kids!
- Man-boy Bollinger tipped the scales at nearly 158 lbs, my weight, yikes. He will have to cut down to 135 come fight time. Almost 23 lbs, I'd start now. What is that 1/6th of his entire weight?
- Ronda's Mom , Ann Maria DeMars, stopped by for a visit. I have seen her before on the UFC Countdown shows and stuff but for people who have never seen her, you can tell that this is probably why Ronda does things the way she does things. I found it stunning how quickly her Mom made sure everyone knew who she was. Plus she had some training advice for a few of the fighters after a few minutes of watching.
- In the pre-fight locker room, I snorted when Rousey's Mom was talking to David Grant - "the guy you're fighting, there's no way he should beat you. You're healthy, you got two kids." Mmmm, pokay. She did follow it up though with another statement about protecting his kiddos.
- Resident sweet and huge-eared guy Chris Holdsworth shared some love with Fisette, much like Pena did with his in her letter. Kind of game him a pep talk which was nice.
- Team Tate played a joke on Edmond but he never got to see it. Ronda defused World War III by not allowing Edmond to even know it existed. They found a Count Dracula or Chocula statue with a unibrow and they attached a waxing kit to it. Pretty humorous and much less gross than some other substances they have used in the TUF house for pranks.
- Miesha knows how she be looking. Good.
- Louis Fisette is way too little for even the 135 lb weight class, he may have to drop to 125. Either that or Grant was a huge 135 because Fisette looked way smaller.
- In the game planning for next week, they want Pennington to walk into the cage against Jessamyn Duke and punch her in the face. Um, does that need to be said, really? Isn't hitting your opponent in the face always part of the goal or game plan?
How about you? Anything in this latest episode of TUF 18 that you saw and would like to mention, dissect, or poke fun at? Leave a comment below and let us know! If you'd like to read more, you can check out my profile. There are some posts and reccomendations, or you can visit by site. Hope to check you later.