Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
UFC middleweight Rousimar Palhares and light heavyweight Joey Beltran received nine-month suspensions as a result of failed drug tests in the aftermath of UFC on FX 6, UFC officials announced on Thursday.
According a statement from the promotion, Palhares tested positive for elevated testosterone, while Beltran tested positive for the anabolic steroid nandrolone. Both suspensions are retroactive to December 14, 2012, and both fighters will be required to "pass a drug test upon completion of the suspension before receiving clearance to compete again."
UFC on FX 6 took place at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Gold Coast, Australia. As is customary for international events, testing was administered by the UFC itself, marking the third international card marred by a failed drug test over the past three months.
Palhares ultimately lost to Hector Lombard via first-round TKO on the night's main card, however Beltran defeated Igor Pokrajac via unanimous decision. The win will likely be overturned into a no contest.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts