Ron Chenoy-US PRESSWIRE
One day after Jose Aldo was forced out of UFC 153 due to an injury stemming from a motorcycle accident, it has been determined that his opponent Frankie Edgar will not fight on the card, either, MMA Fighting has learned.
Sources close to the event confirmed Edgar's removal from the Rio event to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani.
The Edgar-Aldo matchup didn't even make it two weeks before coming undone. Edgar stepped into the match on August 31 after Aldo's original opponent Erik Koch suffered a knee injury and could not make the Oct. 13 date.
Just a few days later, on Sept. 3, we learned that Aldo was in a motorcycle crash while riding home, though his coach Andre Pederneiras said that he suffered minor injuries including a swollen foot that would not preclude him from fighting.
As it turns out, after resting his foot, Aldo was not healed and it was determined he could not fight, either.
As of now, the UFC hopes to still stage the Aldo vs. Edgar fight when the featherweight champion reaches full health, according to the sources.
For now, however, the promotion remains on the hunt for a new UFC 153 headliner.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts