Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Vitor Belfort's removal from UFC 153 proved to be a blessing in disguise for Alan Belcher.
Belcher, who was scheduled to meet Belfort on Oct. 13 in Rio de Janeiro before "The Phenom" was moved to UFC 152 to fight Jon Jones for the light heavyweight title, tweeted on Friday that he is battling an injury.
"Everyone is asking if I am mad at UFC, Jon Jones [and] Vitor Belfort," he wrote, "answer is no. This is a blessing in disguise. I have a spinal fracture."
Belcher added that he hopes to return to action by November, so the injury does not appear to be serious.
As a result, UFC officials announced on Friday that Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado 2 has been moved to UFC 153. The light heavyweight pair fought to a no contest at UFC on FOX 4 earlier this month after Davis accidentally poked Prado in the eye in the first round.
As for Belcher, he tweeted that he would like to fight Chris Weidman "or another top 5" in his return. The UFC has to announce who Belcher and Weidman will fight next.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts