The MMA injury bug has hit Bellator.
Lightweight champion Pat Curran has pulled out of his Aug. 24 title fight against Patricio Freire due to a fractured orbital bone. Curran confirmed the news on Twitter after ESPN.com first reported it.
According to the report, Curran suffered the injury in training Tuesday morning during the third round of sparring at his gym in a suburb outside of Chicago. No word just yet on whether Freire will remain on the Bellator 73 card at Harrah's Tunica Hotel and Casino in Mississippi.
Curran (17-4) is 4-0 since dropping down to featherweight in June 2011. He knocked Joe Warren in March to capture the promotion's 145-pound title.
Freire (17-1) won the Bellator Season 4 featherweight tournament in May 2011 to earn a shot at the title.
Daniel Straus (20-4) won the Season 6 featherweight tournament this past May, so he'll now have to wait a little longer to fight the winner of Curran vs. Freire.
The Bellator lightweight (Marcos Galvao vs. Luis Nogueira) and light heavyweight (Travis Wiuff vs. Attila Vegh) tournament final is scheduled to take place at Bellator 73.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts