Fighting in the finals of The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes, Robert Whittaker and Brad Scott went to battle, trading combinations and barrages for three rounds until time ran out on them.
Someone had to walk away with the UFC contract that is awarded to the winner, and it was Whittaker, earning a victory via unanimous decision by a trio of 29-28 scores.
"The contract is a bonus, but the real joy was defending my country and making everyone proud," said the Aussie.
Just 21 years old, Whittaker showed a mature presence, particularly in the third by taking over to ensure the victory after a close second.
He was the more powerful and accurate striker throughout. He knocked Scott down in the first and swarmed for the finish, but Scott covered up and survived the onslaught. He showed good durability throughout, at one point eating a head kick and shrugging it off.
In the second, Scott turned the tide with a takedown. He got Whittaker's back and looked to sink in a choke, but Whittaker was able to work free. That turned out to be Scott's best chance as Whittaker controlled the third, using a standing right elbow strike as his featured weapon.
Whittaker improved to 10-2, while Scott dropped to 8-2.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts