Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Another day, another injury affects an upcoming UFC card.
UFC president Dana White announced Thursday night that Lavar Johnson has pulled out of next week's UFC on FOX 5 fight against Brendan Schaub due to a pulled groin.
White initially told MMAFighting.com that he wasn't sure if Schaub would remain on the Dec. 8 card, however, Schaub's manager Lex McMahon later told MMAFighting.com that the heavyweight will not compete next Saturday night due to the late-notice injury.
"Brendan is very disappointed," McMahon said, "but he is very dedicated and will be back to training. We will see how long Lavar is out and will assess Brendan's options. I'm confident the UFC will get Brendan back in the Octagon soon. "
The Schaub-Johnson tilt was scheduled to air on the FX prelims. No word just yet on which Facebook prelim fight will replace it.
"Frustrated would be an understatement," Schaub tweeted after the news broke. "Back to the gym."
UFC on FOX 5, which will take place at KeyArena in Seatlle, will now feature 12 fights.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts