Despite losing his last three fights, Alessio Sakara isn't going anywhere. In fact, the Italian fighter recently signed a new four-fight contract extension with the UFC.
Sakara's manager Lex McMahon confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com on Thursday.
The 31-year-old Sakara (15-10, 1 NC) is coming off a controversial loss to Patrick Cote earlier this month at UFC 154. At first, it appeared as though he was going to win the fight after a first-round stoppage, however, referee Dan Miragliotta decided to disqualify him for repeated illegal shots to the back of the head. Sakara's camp later appealed the loss, but the decision was upheld last week.
According to sources close to the UFC, the promotion is working towards booking Cote vs. Sakara 2 at some point in 2013, however, the fight isn't finalized just yet. McMahon wouldn't comment on the possibility of the rematch happening.
The 10-year veteran, who also holds an 8-1 professional boxing record, made his UFC debut in Oct. 2005. His current UFC record is 6-7 with 1 no contest.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts