Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Saturday night's Nick Ring vs. Costa Philippou fight has been canceled.
A UFC official confirmed Saturday morning that Ring "has fallen ill" and is battling some kind of virus. As a result, the doctor working for the Quebec athletic commission, le Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, has decided not to clear Ring for his UFC 154 middleweight fight against Philippou.
As a result, the Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos lightweight fight has been moved to the pay-per-view portion of the card, while Antonio Carvalho vs. Rodrigo Damm will now air on the FX portion of the card.
According to Philippou's manager Lex McMahon, the UFC has agreed to pay Philippou's show money despite the fact that he won't be fighting Saturday night.
"They're looking to get him a fight as soon as possible," McMahon said. "We're very appreciative of how the UFC has taken care of Costa. We're thankful of Joe [Silva] and Dana [White] for all their efforts and the way they have dealt with this situation in an appropriate and professional manner. They are doing the right by Costa."
No word just yet on how sick Ring is and when he expects to return.
UFC 154 will now feature 12 fights.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts