Tracy Lee, Combat Lifestyle
Through his first three UFC fights, Justin Edwards had hardly distinguished himself in the octagon. He lost two of his first three, and had gone to a decision each time.
Somehow, he ended up on the main card of UFC on FX 5, and in his biggest opportunity, Edwards delivered.
The 29-year-old welterweight choked Josh Neer unconscious in a first-round technical submission. The fight took only 45 seconds.
Edwards said he was aware that Neer likes to bait fighters with guillotines, but felt he had the squeeze to close him out. That was the case as they clinched early and Edwards started the choke from a standing position. Neer tried to defend and they fell to the mat, and quickly thereafter, the referee realized Neer was out and the finish was called.
Edwards had come into the UFC with the nickname "Fast Eddy" for his propensity to finish in a flash. All of his six fights before signing with the promotion ended in the first round, with four of them lasting less than a minute.
"I thought it was going to be a very exciting fight," he said. "I thought it would be a fast pace and I didn't think it'd end that early."
Edwards is now 8-2 overall while Neer is now 33-12-1.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts