A second straight event has been scrapped by Strikeforce, though the promotion and its broadcast partner Showtime insist that the partnership will go on, with plans for a January 2013 event already in the works.
The November 3 show, however, is cancelled after withdrawals from main event fighter Frank Mir and co-main event fighter and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold made presenting a worthy card impossible.
The news, which was announced in a joint Strikeforce/Showtime press release, immediately angered heavyweight headliner Daniel Cormier, who had been training and anticipating an opponent switch.
"I wish somebody would have told me something," he told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. "This is unbelievable. I'm very upset. I just want to be informed. That's all. I don't think that's asking for too much."
This cancellation comes about two months after a September 29 date was also called off, that time when lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez was injured.
"Showtime's goal as a premium channel is to put on something great," manager of sports communications Annie Van Tornhout told MMA Fighting. "With the injuries, both sides decided to hold off and put together something amazing in January."
Strikeforce has not produced a card since August 18, but with the possibility of returns from Melendez and Rockhold, the probability of a Cormier fight and most of the rest of the roster being available, the broadcast partners expect to put on a major event next time out.
In a statement, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker promised a "stacked card."
"While we're disappointed with the cancellation, we are looking forward to an even bigger Strikeforce event on Showtime early next year," said Stephen Espinoza, the executive vice president & general manager of Showtime Sports.
Ticket refunds will be available at point of sale, according to Strikeforce. The card was to emanate from the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.