Nogueira is one of the great heavyweight jiu jitsu practitioners in the history of mixed martial arts, and he headed into his fight with Frank Mir on Saturday night with 20 victories by submission and no submission losses. But that all ended when Frank Mir executed a brutal kimura from the top position, appearing to dislocate Nogueira's shoulder and force him to submit in the first round of their fight.
For Mir, it was the second victory of his career over Nogueira -- he also became the first person to finish Nogueira when he beat him by TKO three years ago.
"I'm the first person to knock him out and the first and only person to submit him," Mir said. "I hope that Nogueira is OK. I idolize him."
Although the way Mir finished the fight was brutal, Nogueira had the upper hand early on: Nogueira hit Mir hard with punches and appeared to be close to knocking Mir out. Mir was dazed and looked almost out of it before he recovered on the ground and executed a stunning reversal to get into position to force the tap out.
"I was stunned," Mir said. "He caught me."
Everyone watching had to be stunned by what Mir did to Nogueira: Seeing Nogueira tap out is something many MMA fans thought they'd never witness. Now it has happened.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts