Vera (2-0) made her Strikeforce debut in November 2009, putting on a kickboxing clinic in a dominant win over Kim Couture. She then seemingly disappeared from the MMA scene, but now, according to Brandon, is working her way back to active competition.
"Kerry actually just started training two-and-a-half weeks ago," Brandon said Monday on The MMA Hour. "She blew out her knee and when she blew out her knee, she fractured her spine, her o4, o5. It's a super small hairline fracture. They couldn't do any surgical procedures on it."
Brandon said since no procedure was possible, all Kerry could do was wait for the year to a year-and-a-half for her spine injury to heal. Brandon guesstimates that Kerry is now 96% and is looking to return early next year, "maybe February-March." Kerry remains under contract with Strikeforce.
"She's so excited about training again, getting back in there and getting some," Brandon said. "She watches all the girl fights. Yeah, she's amped. She's super, super excited to get back in [the cage]."
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts