Most people thought that for Cormier to have any chance, he'd need to use his Olympic-caliber wrestler skills to control Silva with takedowns. Instead, Cormier did it all with striking: Cormier dropped Silva with a big overhand right in the first minute of the first round, and after he did that he let Silva get back up, feeling more confident in his ability to beat Silva on his feet than on the ground.
Cormier continued to show off power punching throughout the round, and Silva had no answer. Eventually Cormier leveled Silva with another hard punch and then landed one more punch on the ground to knock Silva out. The whole fight lasted just 3 minutes, 56 seconds.
"It was great," Cormier said afterward. "I fought one of the Top 5 heavyweights in the world and knocked him out. Give me some respect now."
Everyone has to respect Cormier now: He's 9-0 in his MMA career, and he's now earned by far the biggest win of his life. Daniel Cormier isn't just a wrestler. He's a complete mixed martial artist.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts