Fedor Emelianenko will be cut from the promotion following his loss to Dan Henderson at last Saturday's Strikeforce/M-1 Fedor vs. Henderson event.
UFC president Dana White -- a co-owner of Strikeforce parent company Zuffa LLC -- confirmed the news following the UFC 133 press conference on Thursday.
"He's being cut, yeah," White told the media. "Why? Do you think we should keep him?"
The loss was the third straight for Emelianenko after an unbeaten stretch that spanned nearly a decade.
His loss to Henderson came at 4:12 of round one. Prior to that, he had lost to Antonio Silva via TKO and Fabricio Werdum by submission.
"You guys thought he was the pound-for-pound best in the world, but I thought he was overrated for years," White said.
The 34-year-old Emelianenko (31-4, 1 no contest) said after the Henderson fight that he would take some time to consider retirement upon returning home to Russia, but if he chooses to return, it will be under a new promoter.
Meanwhile, Emelianenko remains contracted to Showtime, the premium cable channel that broadcasts Strikeforce fights as well as M-1 cards. It is possible he could continue to compete on Showtime under the M-1 banner, but he won't do so again with Strikeforce co-promoting.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts