During a Tuesday press conference in Denver to officially announce the fight headlining UFC 135, UFC president Dana White confirmed that if Rashad Evans beats Tito Ortiz at August 6's UFC 133, he'll be the next man to challenge for gold. That decision seems quite logical. But what happens if Ortiz pulls off his second straight upset?
While White stopped short of saying Ortiz would get a title shot for beating Evans, he also didn't rule it out.
"I don't know," White said. "It's tough one. He beats [Ryan] Bader who was ranked, I think 7 or 8. Then he comes back and beats the guy ranked No. 1? I don't know. It's a tough question. Some would say Tito. Some would say he probably has to beat one other guy. I don't know. We'll figure that out when it happens."
The fact that we're even discussing the remote possibility of Ortiz in another title match would have seemed ludicrous just a few weeks ago, when he was mired in a winless streak that stretched back to October 2006.
But at UFC 132, as a massive underdog, he upset Bader via submission in just 1:56. A win over Evans would be even more surprising. Though the pair fought to a draw back in July 2007, Evans has gone 5-1 since then, including a run as the UFC champion.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts