The former street fighting sensation turned MMA fighter abruptly quit his pursuit of becoming a boxing star in October, Slice's former promoter Jared Shaw told MMA Fighting.
"[Slice left the boxing training camp] due to some various injuries and to go film The Scorpion King. Upon his return, he didn't show me any interest in boxing, so we just decided for right now to put it to the side," Shaw said.
"In boxing, in order to be amongst the best in the world, he was going to have to put in double the work he was accustomed to. Due to the wear and tear on his body, he wasn't able to perform up to the standard we wanted him to."
Slice said in August that he would pursue a boxing career. He never actually competed in a boxing match.
The Inoki Genome Federation pro wrestling organization announced on Tuesday that Slice will take part in its 8-man tournament on February 5th in Fukuoka, Japan, against former Sumo wrestler Shinichi "Wakakirin" Suzukawa. If you recall, "Wakakirin" was supposed to face Bob Sapp at Dynamite!! 2010 until Sapp pulled out on fight night due to undisclosed reasons. Josh Barnett will also reportedly compete in the tournament.
Shaw said he hasn't talked to Slice since October. He was surprised to hear of Slice's new gig, but added, "I think Kimbo Slice's days as a fighter are close to an end."
(Editor's note: Check out last week's MMA Hour below.)