Josh Thomson vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri has been signed for the Dec. 31 event, MMA Fighting has learned from sources. The bout will take place at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Fighting and Entertainment Group, the parent company of DREAM, is expected to officially announce the fight in the coming days.
Thomson, 18-3 (1 no contest), has won two in a row since losing the Strikeforce 155-pound title to Melendez last December. He most recently defeated "JZ" Cavalcante in October.
The fight will mark just the second time in Thomson's 10-year career that he will be competing in Japan. He defeated Daisuke Sugie via submission at PRIDE Bushido 8.
Kawajiri, 26-6-2, most recently lost to Aoki at DREAM.15. Prior to that loss, "Crusher" had won four fights in a row.
In November, Thomson told the Las Vegas Sun that he wanted to fight Kawajiri.
"That's a fight I might kick back and wait for. I've wanted that fight forever. He's somebody that excites me."
Bibiano Fernandes is scheduled to defend his DREAM featherweight title against Hiroyuki Takaya on the card, along with a whole host of other uannounced fights.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts