Escudero said on Twitter that he learned of the news Monday and is already planning to talk to a couple of other mixed martial arts promotions.
"Hello true fan I was released by the Ufc today speaking to strikeforce and bellator," Escudero tweeted. "Taking a week off and make my way back!!!!!"
Although he has lost two of his last three fights, the UFC's decision to cut Escudero is a surprise. He's still a talented lightweight, a likable guy and just 24 years old. With all the promotional muscle the UFC has put behind Escudero dating to his Ultimate Fighter days, it seems like a rash decision to release him now.
But Strikeforce and Bellator would both be fine alternatives for Escudero, and he'd beef up the lightweight division in either promotion -- at least, he will if he can make weight, which he didn't do for the Oliveira fight. Escudero has a good chance of getting a few wins in some of the smaller shows, and it may not be long before he returns to the Octagon.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts