It would be great to see an increased presence for American athletes in K-1. But the way to do that is not to put American kickboxers into fights in which they're severely overmatched, which is what happened this weekend when Wisconsin's Alex Roberts got into the ring with Brazil's Ewerton Teixeira at the K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 in Canberra.
Teixeira knocked Roberts around the ring for two minutes before finally knocking him out with a brutal right hook. This was not a competitive fight.
The K-1 Oceania GP also featured Australia's Ben Edwards impressing the local fans in a big way by not only winning the night's eight-man tournament, but doing it in a K-1 record time of three minutes, 28 seconds.
"To fight K1 was awesome, let alone to do it a venue like this, with 3000 people cheering for you," Edwards told the Canberra Times afterward. "It's unreal man, I never thought this could happen. ... I knocked three dudes out tonight man, that's pretty exciting to watch."
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- Nick Diaz UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- Nick Diaz UFC 158 Hoodie
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts