We found out Saturday night at UFC 111 that Shane Carwin will be the next to challenge Brock Lesnar after he TKO'd Frank Mir in the first round of their interim title matchup. But we also found out another man who is likely to get a shot shortly thereafter: Cain Velasquez.
UFC President Dana White said that Velasquez has done enough to warrant a shot, and will likely get a crack at the Lesnar-Carwin winner later this year.
"Cain's waiting in the wings now," White said. "Cain's probably going to wait for the next shot. [Junior] Dos Santos will not. Dos Santos will fight again."
Velasquez moved to 8-0 overall last month after stopping Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira with a first-round TKO. He's won all six of his UFC contests, stopping five of his six octagon foes. Dos Santos, meanwhile, earned his fifth straight octagon win just over a week ago when he knocked out Gabriel Gonzaga during the first-ever UFC on Versus event. Dos Santos is 11-1 overall.
White seemed intrigued by a potential Dos Santos-Mir matchup, but said it's too early to speculate on who either might face in their next bouts.