"In the state of California, in the event of an accidental foul that causes an injury where the fighter cannot immediately continue, the doctor is called in, the doctor makes the evaluation," said rules director Cory Schafer. "In this case the fighter said he couldn't open his eye. The doctor made the decision. It was the doctor's decision to stop the fight and the referee has no authority to overrule that."
It was pointed out that Amoussou was protesting the ruling and saying he wanted to keep fighting, but Schafer said that didn't matter.
"He said he couldn't open his eye," Schafer said. "The doctor made the call."
The fight was ruled a draw. Strikeforce should book it again and let Amoussou and Prangley settle it themselves.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts