In a fight featuring two middleweight grappling specialists, the fight was a standup affair through most of the bout. But one fight after being knocked out by Nate Marquardt, Maia looked much improved in his striking, outlanding Miller throughout.
For most of the first two rounds, Maia outlanded Miller in exchanges, though he never had Miller in any real trouble. The third round became the expected grappling affair, and again Maia took control, dragging Miller to the ground and controlling him for much of the round. Miller, who recently earned his Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, was able to defend against the world-class grappler and lasted out the round.
The judges scored the bout for Maia, 30-27, 29-28, 29-28.
"I came here to show that I can do standup," said Maia, who improved to 12-1with the win. "I want to fight for the title, so I have to have standup. My boxing is not the best but I can improve."
Miller fell to 11-3 with one no contest with the loss.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts