UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn says that he will next defend his belt at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi.
The champ made the claim on a video posted to his official site, BJPenn.com. Though no opponent has been named and no contracts have been signed, it's quite likely that Penn will face one of two opponents: Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard, who represent the highest-ranked UFC lightweights that yet to face Penn.
Maynard is a 8-0 with one no contest, but puts his unbeaten record on the line at Monday's UFC Fight Night event against Nate Diaz. Edgar, meanwhile, is 11-1, and has reeled off consecutive wins against Hermes Franca, Sean Sherk and Matt Veach.
Penn added that he would have preferred to fight at the March event in New Jersey, but was pushed back to April because the card already had two title fights: a welterweight bout pitting Georges St. Pierre against Dan Hardy, and an interim heavyweight tilt between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin.
The Hawaiian most recently defended his belt with a fifth-round stoppage of Diego Sanchez at December's UFC 107.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts