Woodley got a takedown less than a minute into the fight, and when he got to full mount on the ground it looked like he was close to finishing it. Bears did a nice job of getting back up and landing a kick on his feet, but then Woodley took Bears down again and forced him to tap with an arm triangle choke midway through the first round.
Woodley improves his record to 6-0, winning all six fights by submission. Bears falls to 10-4, with all four losses by submission.
Showtime announcer (and former UFC welterweight champion) Pat Miletich proclaimed Woodley "the best athlete in the sport" after the fight. That seems like an overstatement, but maybe not much of one: Woodley, a former NCAA wrestling All-American, is a dynamic, explosive fighter.
"I'm just going to keep training and keep getting better," Woodley said, adding that he likes how he'd match up with Strikeforce's best welterweight, Jake Shields. In reality, Woodley isn't ready for Shields yet. But he's a talented athlete with legitimate title aspirations.He's for real.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts