Couture used her left jab effectively in the early part of the fight, and she snapped Vera's head back a couple of times. But Vera, a former professional muay Thai fighter, is the more skilled, polished striker, and she won the fight convincingly, ending it at 3:35 of the first round.
"The first punch that she hit me with, I was like, 'ooh, wake up, time to go,' but I came back," Vera said after the fight.
The bout came just six days after Couture's ex-husband, Randy Couture, defeated Vera's husband, Brandon Vera, at UFC 105. That fight will get a lot more attention than this one, but Kerry Vera showed on Friday night that she's a fighter all MMA fans should pay attention to. She's a strong striker with a winning personality, and she'll be a big part of Strikeforce's continuing efforts to promote women's MMA. Beating Couture was a step forward for her, and in her next fight she'll need to take a step up in competition.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts