"The world title bout between Varner and Henderson is a perfect way to start off the New Year," WEC general manager Reed Harris said in a press release. "The title fight, plus the return of Urijah, makes this an instant winter classic."
Varner (16-2-2) last fought at WEC 38 in January and won a technical split decision over heated rival Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Injuries prevented Varner from defending his belt which prompted the WEC to create an interim title bout between Cerrone and Henderson (10-1), with the latter taking the close decision last month at WEC 43.
Faber (22-3) failed to recapture the belt in an unanimous loss at WEC 41 in June to featherweight champion Mike Brown in a five-round battle that saw Faber break both his hands. Faber returns from the injuries to work towards another title shot in front of his hometown at WEC 46 against Assuncao (14-1).
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts