, the most recent UFC middleweight title challenger, has found a new home in the Maximum Fighting Championship in Canada.
MFC promoter Mark Pavelich announced on recent radio appearances on TapouT Radio and The Scores' Hardcore Sports Radio that Leites (14-3) has signed a deal with the promotion and will debut at MFC 23 on Dec. 4.
Leites, who had been on thin ice after a universally bashed performance against Anderson Silva
at UFC 97, was put on UFC waivers in August following a close loss to Alessio Sakara
at UFC 101.
"He lost a split decision that many people thought he won, and the UFC cut him. I think he's mad now," said Pavelich, who says he's been signing fighters who have felt wronged by the UFC.
Prior to the back-to-back UFC losses, the 28-year-old Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt won five straight in the Octagon from April 2007 to October 2008.
Leites joins MFC's roster of middleweights that includes fellow UFC veterans Jason MacDonald
, Travis Lutter
, Dean Lister
and Trevor Prangley