Murray and a band of robbers allegedly broke into a Securitas depot in Tonbridge, Kent in 2006, escaping with $92.5 million in cash.
"The story is a very unique British heist tale with colorful London characters," Aronofsky said in a statement. "I've always wanted to shoot in England and Kerry is the perfect writer to bring authenticity to this outrageous true bank job."
Kerry Williamson will write the script for the film inspired by Jon Wertheim's article entitled "Breaking the Bank" from an issue of Sports Illustrated magazine.
Murray fled to Morocco and was arrested there four months later, but has never been tried for the robbery since there is no extradition agreement between the UK and Morocco. Murray remains in Moroccan police custody awaiting a possible trial though he had a brief taste of freedom in June.
Murray's intensely lawless life has more than enough material for a feature length movie. Besides the alleged robbery, he's had a respectable MMA career (8-2-1), allegedly knocked out Tito Ortiz in a street fight, survived a stabbing on his birthday and attempted to break out of jail.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts