To review, Silva is 14-1 in his MMA career, and the only loss is to the undefeated undisputed champion of the light heavyweight division, Lyoto Machida. Of Silva's 14 wins, he's finished 10 opponents in the first round, the most recent of which was Keith Jardine Saturday night at UFC 102.
And yet the UFC's light heavyweight division is so stacked that on my list of the Top 10 light heavyweights in MMA, there are eight UFC fighters ahead of Silva. The full list is below.
Top 10 light heavyweights in MMA
1. Lyoto Machida: Makes his first title defense against Shogun Rua in October.
2. Anderson Silva The middleweight champion is the second best light heavyweight in the world. Unfortunately, he says he'll never fight Machida.
3. Rampage Jackson When I was in Bristol last week, an ESPN producer told me that Rampage, more than any other MMA fighter, is the kind of character who attracts mainstream sports fans.
4. Rashad Evans He'll be a great foil to Rampage on The Ultimate Fighter, and a great opponent for him in December.
5. Forrest Griffin Tough to know what's next for Griffin after Anderson Silva destroyed him. Perhaps a rematch with Jardine?
6. Shogun Rua I'm not picking him to beat Machida, but I do think he's the UFC light heavyweight with the best set of skills to match up with Machida.
7. Dan Henderson He says he'll fight at light heavyweight if he doesn't get the next crack at Silva's middleweight belt. Even though I think he's a very good 205-pounder, I'd like to see him take on Nate Marquardt at 185 pounds.
8. Rich Franklin His battle with Vitor Belfort at UFC 103 is the biggest MMA fight in a slow September.
9. Thiago Silva Who's next? I'd like to see him get someone in the Top 10, but most of the guys above him have full dance cards.
10. Gegard Mousasi UFC President Dana White would love to sign Mousasi. As long as Mousasi is with Strikeforce, Dream and M-1 Global, it's hard to see who can challenge him at 205 pounds.