Johnson, currently out on bail, was charged with domestic violence, battery, death threats and destroying a phone to prevent the report of a crime, according to a report by the San Jose Mercury News.
Police said Johnson was on poor terms with his ex-girlfriend for allegedly at some point marrying another woman while being in a three-year relationship with his ex-girlfriend. In the police report, Johnson forced himself into his ex-girlfriend's home after being denied entry to check on his dogs. An altercation followed that left both with minor injuries to the face.
Johnson is claiming that he was struck first and acted in self-defense.
The top UFC prospect holds a record of 4-2 in the UFC, one of which was a wrongful loss as a recipient of an illegal eye poke. Johnson would avenge the loss to Kevin Burns with a Knockout of the Night-winning head kick. He was scheduled to fight last month on the "TUF 9 Finale" card but pulled out due to a knee injury.
Johnson's agent Ken Pavia is asking for judgment to be withheld until all relevant facts are known. In a statement e-mailed to the media, Pavia said, "Mr. Johnson is completely and unequivocally innocent of all charges. These charges are completely outside the realm of Mr. Johnson's character; he has no prior criminal record and has never been in trouble with the law."
Johnson has a trial date set for July 17.