Former IFL heavyweight champion Roy Nelson lost a hard-fought unanimous decision to former UFC No. 1 contender Jeff Monson Saturday night at the March Badness event in Florida.
In terms of the credentials of the fighters, this was by far the best mixed martial arts fight on the card, which was promoted by Roy Jones and combined both boxing and MMA. Nelson entered the fight 13-3 and ranked the No. 19 heavyweight in the world in the Bloody Elbow meta-rankings, while Monson entered the fight 27-8 and ranked No. 20.
But the fans in attendance didn't sound impressed by what they were seeing. Much of the fight consisted of Nelson lying on top of Monson, and the crowd -- perhaps mostly there to see Jones box later in the night -- booed loudly. Nelson didn't do much damage when he was on top of Monson, but it was still a surprise that all three judges gave Monson the fight, 29-28. I thought Nelson won, as did the TV announcers and, from the sound of things, most of the fans.
The only opinions that matter, however, are those of the three judges. And those three judges unanimously gave the fight to Monson.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts