"If I get to win this fight, of course, I think it's going to put me in line to be considered to fight the welterweight champion," Yoshida said.
Added Koscheck, "I'm trying to get back on the winning track and get my name back up there as being mentioned as the No. 1 contender in this weight class."
Koscheck is the higher ranked fighter now, although he's lost to both champion Georges St. Pierre and No. 1 contender Thiago Alves, so he'd have to win two or three more fights before anyone would consider him a title contender.
For Yoshida, a win over Koscheck would make him a top 10 welterweight, but he, too, needs two or three more wins before the UFC would offer him a title fight.
And considering that St. Pierre still has to defend his title against B.J. Penn before the winner can fight Alves, it's going to be a while before anyone else is in the welterweight title mix. So while I wouldn't rule out one of these guys fighting for the welterweight title, it wouldn't happen until 2010.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts