Jake Shields defeated Nick Thompson with a first-round guillotine choke to win the EliteXC welterweight title this evening in Stockton, California.
It took Shields just a minute to finish Thompson, and it was the fifth straight first-round victory for Shields. Although UFC's stacked division has most of the best welterweights in mixed martial arts, Shields has shown that he's clearly the best welterweight not currently under contract to Zuffa.
The year's biggest welterweight fight will be in two weeks at UFC 87, when challenger Georges St. Pierre takes on top contender Jon Fitch.
"I'd love to fight the winner of St. Pierre-Fitch to unify the world titles," Shields said after the fight.
That won't happen, but some day I'd love to see Shields fight those guys. He's the real deal.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts