You could waste a couple of hours discussing Fedor's strengths as a fighter so it's probably easier to try and pinpoint weaknesses that Sylvia can exploit on Saturday. Sam Caplan of Five Ounces of Pain brings up the problems Emelianenko has had defending against takedowns and jabs in the past. Sylvia isn't great at the former but he's a strong jabber who could take advantage of his reach to keep Fedor off his body.
The other thing slanting in Sylvia's favor is the recent experience of both fighters. As great as Emelianenko is, he hasn't fought the same caliber of competition that Sylvia's faced over the past couple of years. Of course Sylvia's lost to a few of those fighters but rust can be a tough thing to overcome. It's also worth noting that one of the guys who beat Sylvia, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, lost to Emelianenko both times they fought to a conclusive finish.
There's a chance for Sylvia to win on Saturday but he'll probably need the fight of his life. That could happen. If it does, it would likely be one of the most memorable fights in MMA history.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts