I agree with Couture: There's no reason that females can't make it through five-minute rounds, and shorter rounds wouldn't have prevented her broken jaw and bloody face. I like Couture, I like women's MMA, and I think that aside from obvious differences like having female competitors wear shirts and including pregnancy tests with pre-fight physicals, women's MMA should be treated the same as men's MMA.
However, I do agree with ESPN Radio hosts Cofield & Cokin (whose show I have appeared on) that Couture came across as ill-prepared for the fight, and that it's a good thing for the sport that the fight wasn't televised. Couture may some day be a good pro fighter, but right now she'd be better off sparring with amateurs.
Previously on FanHouse:
Kim Couture: Kim Rose Broke My Jaw When I Tried to Touch Gloves
Couture Bloodied in Pro MMA Debut, Loses by Unanimous Decision
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts